Wisconsin Lions Help Keep Kids Healthy in Nicaragua
In our November issue, the Wisconsin Lions share with us how they have saved the lives of 10,500 children and prevented blindness in thousands of others in Nicaragua. Because of poor diets, vitamin A deficiency is one of the six leading causes of blindness in children. Since 1997, the Lions Nicaraguan Vitamin A Project has distributed eight million vitamin A capsules and helped reduce the number of deficient children from 31.3 percent to 1.8 percent.
This international project is just one of the thousands of ways Lions are reaching beyond their community to help those in need. With the help of the 1.35 million Lions globally, your club can also reach out to those in need elsewhere. Here are some ideas to get started:
- Connect with Lions internationally. Get in contact with Lions you met at international convention or use the Club Locator to establish contact with Lions in another country.
- Assess the needs. Find out what other communities could use your help with. Ask your Lions contacts what projects they’re involved with and see if your club could provide additional resources. You may find that a local elementary school lacks school supplies or that young mothers find diapers hard to come by, for example.
- Present the cause to your club. You may wish to provide a written hand out or use PowerPoint to articulate the need your club could address. Talk about what you’ve learned and the opportunities your club could fill. You may wish to include photos or statistics, if available.
- Embrace fundraising opportunities. Depending on the need, you could partner with another organization or ask your community for support. You may find that a pancake breakfast, auction, bingo night or family festival can help cover the cost of shipping or purchasing supplies for your project.
- Share your results with local media. If your project presents the opportunity for photography or videos, let your newspaper or news channel in on the action. It’s important to share what your club is doing internationally so your community can be proud of your efforts and continue to support it. Sample news releases and key messages are available to assist you in sharing your project.
Also, don’t forget to share your story. We may feature your club’s project here!