Plan a Lions “Sharing the Vision” Project for October
Our Lions clubs are known worldwide for helping blind and visually-impaired individuals through eyeglass recycling, vision screenings and more. During the month of October, Lions join together to lead the fight against blindness by participating in the “Sharing the Vision” global service action campaign.
Plan community activities and projects in connection with World Sight Day, recognized this year on Oct. 11, to raise awareness about the importance of healthy vision and the causes of vision loss. Let’s make a difference in our local and global communities!
Here are a few “Sharing the Vision” project ideas to get you started:
- Work with local eye care professionals to organize an eye health and safety presentation for school children.
- Arrange recreational activities, such as bowling, fishing or swimming, for visually impaired people in your community.
- Sponsor a Braille exhibit at your local library.
- Volunteer at a rehabilitation or vocational training center for the blind or visually impaired.
- Organize a vision screening event or eyeglass recycling campaign in your community.
- Organize a community “sight walk” to raise funds in support of your nearest Lions camp for children who are blind and visually impaired.
- Volunteer at a local eye bank or a Lions Eyeglass Recycling Center.
- Volunteer to read books and periodicals for blind and visually impaired persons.
- Send collected eyeglasses to the nearest Lions Eyeglass Recycling Center.