Lions Diabetes Awareness Month
During the month of November, join Lions everywhere in the fight against diabetes by planning diabetes awareness month activities in your community.
What you should know about diabetes:
- Over 360 million people worldwide have diabetes.
- The International Diabetes Foundation (IDF) estimates that by 2030, over 550 million people in the world will have the disease.
- Every 8 seconds, someone dies from complications of diabetes.
- Diabetes is among the top 10 causes of disability.
- Children die of Type 1 diabetes in low- and middle-income countries because they lack access to life-saving insulin.
What your Lions club can do to help:
- Host a diabetes screening in your community.
- Volunteer at a diabetes recreational camp.
- Enhance or develop community education programs about diabetes.
- Provide medication and supplies for families in need.
- Observe World Diabetes Day on November 14 by planning a Strides diabetes awareness event.
For more information about diabetes, visit our Diabetes Resources Center.