Diabetes Awareness in November
November is Lions Diabetes Awareness Month! The International Diabetes Federation estimates that 371 million people worldwide live with diabetes, and that number is expected to grow to 552 million by 2030. In November, we encourage Lions everywhere to join the fight against diabetes — planning projects and events that help increase awareness of this deadly, debilitating disease and that educate community members on how to prevent the development of type 2 diabetes.
Project ideas for Diabetes Awareness Month include:
- Organize a Strides event, such as walking, running, cycling or dancing, that promotes healthy exercise.
- Partner with a local healthcare provider to organize diabetes and vision screenings to the public.
- Sponsor a child in need to attend a diabetes camp.
- Participate in World Diabetes Day events on November 14.
- Organize a healthy cooking demonstration.
What diabetes awareness activities is your Lions club planning for next month?