Who are the Lions?
Today’s post is by Lion Jerome Thompson of the Moulton Lions Club in Alabama, USA. Read his blog at LionsAreHandsOn.com. If you are interested in submitting your story to the Lions Blog, download our Contributor Guidelines.
If asked to describe the Lions club in your town, how would the citizen on the street respond?
Who are the LIONS? If this is the response, we have failed to communicate the valuable service that we render to our community.
A Men’s Club. If this is the response, we have failed to update our image in the last 20 plus years. Today, women are a vital part of our association. In fact, women have provided leadership at every level, from club officer to International Director.
Hopefully, the response would be:
- They provide eye care to those in need.
- They work with families of children with diabetes.
- They are addressing world hunger.
- They sponsor the LEO club.
- They work on environmental issues.
- They assist in the time of natural disasters.
- They provide books to children in our schools.
- They have partnered with the library to address literacy needs of children and the sight impaired.
- They are a lively, young, vibrant group of community minded citizens that have improved the quality of life for everyone in our town.
Go ahead and ask the question to your friends, family and neighbors, “Who are the Lions?” Listen carefully to the response. Then take the necessary action to improve the image of your club.